Thursday, November 28, 2019

Thanksgiving 2014 Redux

From November 21, 2014, Hope’s first Thanksgiving with us.


Giving Thanks
By Holiday Hope

Last night, I had a couple of bites of steak, leftovers from Papa’s plate. I would have liked to have had the whole steak, but even a couple of bites for dessert after a big dinner is a long way from starving in Mississippi.

Last November, I was seven months old, weighed 28 pounds and had mange. I was so ugly when my photograph was sent to the Southeast German Shepherd Rescue coordinator, she wondered why anyone would send her a picture of a possum. But she accepted me into rescue anyway.

Southeast German Shepherd Rescue named me Holiday Hope and hoped I’d make it through the holidays. I survived, got my shots and had my mange treated. Gradually I regained my strength, my hair grew back, and I was able to go outside. Not that I was all that interested in going outside. Once a dog has been a stray, the great outdoors isn’t all that inviting.

Some good people whose names I do not know volunteered to drive me on various legs of a journey that took me from Mississippi to North Carolina where my foster mom lived. In late January, 2014, I was adopted into my forever home, and I moved to Virginia.

This coming Thursday is the day humans reserve for giving thanks, but such a wonderful idea should not be reserved for only those who walk upright. Dogs can be thankful, too. I know I am. I’m thankful for the good people of Southeast German Shepherd Rescue who saved me. For Pat who took care of me when I was sick. For the relay drivers who drove me from Mississippi to North Carolina. For Jan who fostered me. For a warm house, a soft bed, for nutritious food, a daily walk, trips to the dog park with my friend, Shiloh. But most of all, I’m thankful for the love my two humans lavish on me. 

There’s a lot wrong in the world today, but as my story proves, there’s a lot that’s right.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, and thanks to Growltiger for letting me tell my story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rest in Peace, Justice Ginsberg

Ruth Bader Ginsberg died Friday afternoon. May she rest in peace.  Whether one agreed or disagreed with Justice Ginsberg's judicial phil...